Coca-Cola, Kellogg’s and Nescafe were among the top brands winning recognition at this year’s Product of the Year awards.
The event, which took place on Thursday, was hosted by comedian Patrick Kielty (main photo) with entertainment by pop royalty, Sophie Ellis Bextor.
Winners were announced in 44 categories with a ‘who’s who’ of UK brands including Mars, Procter & Gamble and Coca Cola in attendance to pick up the coveted Product of the Year trophy.
Product of the Year
The event is the UK’s biggest and most comprehensive study of product innovation, conducted in association with Kantar.
Winners represent key consumer wants and habits – a unique barometer of changing consumer behaviour and a robust indicator of key consumer trends.
Health and well-being products look set to dominate the supermarket shelves with a number of healthy eating products named Product of the Year. They included Kellogg’s W.K. Kellogg vegan-friendly Plant Protein cereal; Richmond’s first-ever meat-free sausage; NESCAFÉ Gold’s dairy alternative lattes; and Optimum’s Rocky Road protein bar.
And it’s a trend reiterated by research conducted by Product of the Year in association with Kantar, in November last year.
This showed that more than one-third of UK consumers (35%) stated that they were more likely to choose products that have a positive impact on their health and well-being.
Brands continue to innovate to deliver the very best eco-friendly products with ethical sourcing and responsible packaging key factors.
Worthy winners, who will have permission to use the influential and iconic Product of the Year winners red logo, included:
Unilever’s groundbreaking Cif ecorefill which, with its 10x concentrated Cif ecorefill, enables a Cif bottle to be reused for life thus reducing the plastic footprint of each product by 75%; and the truly innovative bamboo sourced The Cheeky Panda wipes.
With increasingly busy lives, ‘ease of use’ is a primary determining factor in consumers choosing one product over another with a number of brands rising to the challenge and scooping a coveted Product of the Year award in the process:
Premier Foods has come up with an ingenious Sharwood’s Katsu Curry Wrap Kit; KraftHeinz shifted from can to pouch with its innovative Creationz range; leading wine producer Concha y Toro have brought O’jos to the market – a portion controlled spritz-style wine drink in a can; and Arla Food’s listened to the concerns of the consumer regarding ease of use and have introduced the Lurpak Butterbox.
“Innovation is often about those smart, small incremental improvements that have a disproportionately big impact on our lives” said Mike Nolan, CEO, Product of the Year.
“All of the 2020 Product of the Year winners are boldly treading new ground, pushing the edges to help shape a future that is healthier, more responsible and just that little bit easier.
“Innovations that are a direct response to the needs of today’s consumer. Congratulations to all the winners”.
Full list of 2020 Product of the Year winners across 44 categories:
- Bladder Weakness, Always Discreet Liners to Go, Procter & Gamble
- Baby & Toddler Meals, Cow & Gate First Spoons Carrot, Danone Specialised Nutrition
- Baby Cereal, Cow & Gate Banana Wholegrain Porridge with Buckwheat, Danone Specialised Nutrition
- Cakes & Biscuits, Cadbury Dairy Milk Slices, Premier Foods
- Cat Food, Whiskas Pure Delight, Mars Petcare Ltd
- Cereal, W.K.Kellogg Plant Protein, Kellogg’s
- Coffee, NESCAFÉ Azera Coffee Bags, Nestlé UK
- Coffee pods, Costa Coffee Signature Blend Lungo Nespresso® Pod, All About Food Ltd
- Convenience Food, Heinz Creationz, Kraft Heinz
- Dairy, Lurpak Butterbox, Arla Foods
- Dairy Alternatives, NESCAFÉ Gold Dairy Alternative Lattes, Nestlé UK
- Dog Food, Harringtons Just 6, Inspired Pet Nutrition
- E-Cigarette, Vype ePod, British American Tobacco
- Feminine Care, Always Ultra InstantDry, Procter & Gamble
- Flavouring & Seasoning, Paxo Bake in a Tray Stuffing, Premier Foods
- Food Kit, Sharwood’s Katsu Curry Wrap Kits, Premier Foods
- Formula Powder, Cow & Gate Growing Up Milk Powder, Danone Specialised Nutrition
- Formula RTD, Aptamil Follow-On Milk Advanced Liquid with Pronutra, Danone Specialised Nutrition
- General Cleaning, Cif ecorefill range, Unilever
- General Household, Astonish Oven & Grill Cleaner & Sponge, Astonish
- Health & Beauty, Bio-Oil Dry Skin Gel, Omega Pharma
- Health Nutrition, Optimum Rocky Road Protein Bar, Glanbia Performance Nutrition
- Healthy Drinks, Honest Classic & Pink Lemonade, Coca-Cola
- Household Paper, Plenty Hand Towels, Essity Hygiene Products UK Ltd
- Hybrid Mattress, Simba Hybrid® Mattress, Simba Sleep
- Indulgent Treat, M&M’s Bars, Mars Wrigley
- Kids Food, White Choc Coco Pops, Kellogg’s
- Laundry Additives, Vanish Gold Stain Oxi Action Removal Gel, Reckitt Benckiser
- Laundry Detergent, Surf Coconut Bliss Liquid Detergent, Unilever
- Mattress, Casper Essential Mattress, Casper
- Meat Free, Richmond Meat-Free Sausages, Kerry Foods
- Men’s Razor, Gillette SkinGuard Sensitive Razor, Procter & Gamble
- Sauce, Loyd Grossman No Added Sugar Bolognese, Premier Foods
- Snack Pot, Loyd Grossman Pasta Italia Pots Range, Premier Foods
- Snacks, Mr Kipling Reduced Sugar Slices, Premier Foods
- Sparkling Wine, O’jos Spritz, Concha y Toro
- Teeth Whitening Kits & Strips, Wisdom Intense White Teeth Whitening Strips, Wisdom Toothbrush Ltd
- Toilet Tissue, Cushelle Ultra Quilted, Essity Hygiene Products UK Ltd
- Toothpaste, Oral-B Gumline Purify Toothpaste, Procter & Gamble
- Water, Aquarius Lemon & Aquarius Lime, Coca-Cola
- Whitening Toothpaste, Oral-B 3D White Luxe Blast Toothpaste, Procter & Gamble
- Wipes, Cheeky Panda Wipes, The Cheeky Panda
- Women’s Razor, Venus Extra Smooth Sensitive, Procter & Gamble
- Zero – No Sugar Drink, Diet Coke Twisted Strawberry and Exotic Mango, Coca-Cola.